Man Utd: Beckham backs Alexis for success after "amazing" move
David Beckham believes Alexis Sánchez will be a success at Manchester United after inheriting his old number seven shirt at Old Trafford.
Alexis Sánchez has been backed to be successful at Manchester United by the club's former midfielder David Beckham.
Sánchez made his debut in Beckham's old number seven shirt at Yeovil Town on Friday, helping set up two goals in a 4-0 FA Cup win.
The Chile international had been a target for Manchester City before United swooped to conclude a swap deal with Arsenal, Henrikh Mkhitaryan heading to Emirates Stadium as part of the transfer.
Beckham on Sánchez switch: "I still find it hard to believe"
And former England international Beckham - who launched his new MLS team in Miami on Monday - was surprised United were able to beat City to Sánchez's signature.
"I still find it hard to believe it's actually happened," Beckham told The Mirror. "It's amazing.
"A player of his stature and calibre has obviously come from a big club like Arsenal and then to move to a massive club like Manchester United, that for me makes me proud to be a Manchester United player because we want great players and exciting players.
"It's great to see him wear a United shirt and I'm sure he's going to be successful."
Alexis in line for United league debut at Spurs
Sánchez, who is reported to be earning a basic wage of around £300,000 a week at Old Trafford, could make his first Premier League appearance for United against Tottenham at Wembley on Wednesday.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In