André Gomes: Barcelona set to listen to summer offers
The LaLiga leaders are readying themselves to offload the Portugal international, who has flopped at the Camp Nou since joining in 2016.
André Gomes faces a fight to save his Barcelona career, with the LaLiga leaders understood to be preparing to listen to offers for the midfielder.
Gomes joined from Valencia for 35 million euros plus variables in July 2016, in a deal that saw the Blaugrana beat off arch rivals Real Madrid to secure the Portugal international's signature.
Bartomeu weighing up end-of-season Gomes sale
However, he has so far flopped in his season and a half at Barça, and club president Josep María Bartomeu is believed to be seriously considering letting the 24-year-old depart the Camp Nou at the end of the campaign.
"It's a real shame," a trusted Barça source told Diario AS when asked about Gomes' failure to hit form in Catalonia. "He's a player who has so much to offer his team and his coach, but situations often just seem to get the better of him."
Gomes could have left Barcelona last summer
The ex-Benfica man might have left last summer, with Juventus and Manchester United both interested, but new boss Ernesto Valverde opted to keep him in his squad and find out what he could bring to the team in his second term at the club.
But it's now thought that the right offer could persuade Barça to do business.
And with Gomes likely to go to the World Cup with Portugal, it is felt that Russia 2018 will be the ideal shop window to encourage bids for the player.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?