Report: Reina set to join AC Milan when Napoli contract expires
The 35-year-old's departure from Napoli is all but certain and he has reportedly agreed a deal with AC Milan after they considered him heavily last summer.
Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina, whose contract with Napoli expires in the summer, has agreed to signed with AC Milan when it does according to Italian newspaper "La Gazzetta dello Sport". Napoli were faced with into either selling him or renewing him last year but decided against either as his contract with the Italian leagure leaders expires.
The 35-year-old can leave Napoli for free in the summer and Milan are keen to sign the veteran up in an effort to safeguard them from the potential departure of Gianluigi Donnarumma explains the paper.
The World Cup winner with Spain in 2010 was a target for the side trained by Gennaro Gattuso last summer but Donnarumma renewed with the Serie A side and that put an end to a possible deal for the Spaniard.
Reina decided to stay with Napoli for another year and another push with Napoli for the scudetto and they are in first place with a one point lead over Juventus but the Italian publication state that his departure is already a sure thing.
The goalkeeper from Madrid, formerly of Barcelona, Villarreal, Liverpool and Bayern Munich has played 24 games this season and has conceded the least goals with just 15 getting past him. This is his fourth season with Napolo and is considered one of the leaders in the dressing room as well as being an idol for the fans.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats