Özil breaks Cantona assist record
Manchester United legend Eric Cantona's Premier League assists record has been broken by Arsenal's Mesut Özil.
Mesut Özil became the fastest player to reach 50 Premier League assists as Arsenal opened the scoring against Watford on Sunday.
A day of records
The German's free-kick teed up Shkodran Mustafi to head the Gunners in front, as Arsene Wenger chased his 700th win as Arsenal boss.
Ozil has taken 141 matches to reach the milestone, surpassing the previous best set by Manchester United legend Eric Cantona, who took 143 games to rack up 50 assists.
50 - Mesut Özil has become the fastest player to reach 50 Premier League assists, doing so in just 141 games and breaking the record previously held by Eric Cantona (143 games). Magic. pic.twitter.com/yMZquraDd3— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) March 11, 2018
The 29-year-old has 27 goals to his name over the same period.
Recommended in English
- TRANSFER MARKET Real Madrid: Palmeiras to slap €100m price tag on Brazil wonderkid Endrick
- SERIE A Vlahovic tipped to fill Cristiano Ronaldo's boots at Juventus
- CORONAVIRUS What is ‘stealth Omicron’ and where have the first cases appeared?
- US NEWS Who are the main candidates for the position in the Supreme Court?
- NFL Why is the AFC Trophy named after Lamar Hunt?
- NFL How are the Cincinnati Bengals preparing for the noise in Arrowhead Stadium?