Berizzo willing to accept one-year deal with Athletic Club
The Argentinean is the big favourite to take over from José Ángel Ziganda this summer. Asier Garitano and Thomas Tuchel have fallen behind.
Eduardo Berizzo continues to weigh up his options while he plots his return to coaching after having overcome his health problems. He's the leading candidate to take the reins at Athletic Club where José María Amorrortu feels he is the ideal man to take over the reins from José Ángel Ziganda. The two other candidates for the job are more or less ruled out: Thomas Tuchel, who is being chased by PSG and Arsenal, looks impossible while Asier Garitano is expected to stay on for another season with Leganés.
Athletic offer Berizzo a one-year contract
Berizzo, who previously held coaching positions at Celta and Sevilla, has been out of work since December 2017. To great surprise, he was ceremoniously sacked by Sevilla just days after undergoing prostate cancer surgery before Christmas. Now back in good health, he is keen to return to coaching and negotiating with Athletic, who are offering a one-year contract - Cadena SER report. It's a proposal which appeals to the 48-year-old, who fancies the challenge of guiding the Bilbaínos back into Europe.
Next year's elections in Bilbao
Athletic will be holding presidential elections in February 2019 which means that they are only able to offer a contract for one-season to any incoming coach. Berizzo was Amorrortu's preferred choice for the post last summer, but in the end Josu Urrutia plumped for Ziganda, who is under contract until June 2019.
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?