UEFA stats suggest Real Madrid have 100% chance of progressing
Eight sides remain in the 2017/18 Champions League competition with statistics not favouring the four teams chasing their respective ties.
The first leg of the 2017/18 Champions League produced four results which left all the ties heavily tilted towards the respective winners. Despite the scorelines UEFA have published a report which suggests the percentage possibility of each side making the semi-final berth:
Barcelona take a 4-1 first-leg advantage to the "Eternal City" a scoreline that has cropped up on 48 times at this stage of the tournament with a 83.3% probability that the Catalan side will be in the draw on Friday. Roma can cling on to their 16.7% probability with their away goal at Camp Nou offering a glimmer of hope for the Serie A side.
Liverpool surprised City with 3-0 first leg win at Anfield. This scoreline has appeared on 126 times in the competition in the past at this stage and past statistics offer Klopp's men a 94.4% chance of making the semi-final stage as Pep Guardiola hopes that the slender 5.6% probability will provide dividends for the Mancunian outfit.
Bayern Munich left the Sanchez Pizjaun last week with an important 1-2 away in with the same scoreline appearing 91 times at the corresponding round of the Champions League. On 94.5% of previous ties with this result the team in the driving seat has progressed. Sevilla have a modest 5.5% chance of progressing.
Never in the history of the Champions League quarter final stage has a 0-3 first leg been turned around. On the 49 times this result has cropped up, on all of the 49 times the winning side has advanced to the semi-final with a 100% likelihood for the Spanish side to advance and be in the draw on Friday.
The great thing about football and the reason why it's the number one sport in the world is that there is always a first time and try and tell Unai Emery about convincing first leg results!
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds