Villarreal's Fornals gets the all-clear after collapsing on pitch
The player suffered a reflex syncope during the game against Athletic but has been given the go-ahead to return to training shortly.
Villarreal midfielder Pablo Fornals has been discharged from hospital in Castellón where he had been placed under observation after collapsing on the pitch during his side’s match against Athletic on Monday night.
“Pablo Fornals has been medically discharged on Wednesday morning after undergoing a series of tests at the Hospital Nisa Rey Don Jaime,” the club said in a statement, confirming that the 22-year-old had suffered a reflex syncope, which causes loss of consciousness due to a neurologically induced drop in blood pressure.
Fornals will rejoin his teammates in training in due course, Villarreal added, although he also has a fractured finger to contend with, which will keep him out for a few days.
Fornals: "I am calm. It has never happened in my daily life"
The Spain under-21 international has been suffering from the issue for some time and Villarreal explained that their medical staff “will continue to carry out routine checks and tests” on the player.
After the incident on Monday, Fornals explained his condition to reporters: "I get dizzy, my vision gets blurry and I wake up on the floor. In Malaga, we didn't pay it any mind and now we have done tests to start ruling things out.
“I am calm and have confidence in myself. It has never happened in my daily life. My family are the same and we are in the hands of the doctor and they know that I like football. I want to continue playing football.”
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston