Sergi Roberto will be able to play the Copa del Rey final
Despite his red card against Celta the Barcelona defender will be able to play against Sevilla on Saturday night.
Sergi Roberto was sent off for a straight red card in the 70th minute of the LaLiga match between Celta and Bacelona at Balaídos, for a professional foul on Aspas, who was running through on goal. The red card should not prevent Roberto playing in the final of the Spanish Copa del Rey on Saturday against Sevilla however.
Roberto is likely to face a one game suspension for the straight red card, as although the Barcelona player hauled Aspas back from behind, there was no violent conduct. And under Spanish federation rules, suspensions from one to three games are served only in the competition in which they were incurred. Four-game and longer bans however are served across all domestic competitions (LaLiga, Copa del Rey and Supercopa de España).
First sending off for Barcelona since Neymar
Sergi Roberto's sending off was the first of any Barcelona player for over a year. The last Barça man to get his marching orders was Neymar, on 8 April 2017, against Málaga, for tying his laces in a provocative fashion and sarcastically applauding the referee.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands