Tenerife-Huesca suspended after assistant referee hit by object
In the 84th minute the officials left the field of play after an object thrown from the stands hit assistant referee Guadalupe Porras Ayuso.
The second division Spanish match between Huesca and Tenerife, with both sides looking for promotion to the Primera, was stopped on Saturday afternoon after one of the assistant referees was hit by an object thrown from the crowd. Guadalupe Porras Ayuso was hit on the head by the object and instantly ran to referee Díaz de Mera to explain what had happened. He immediately stopped the game and headed off to the dressing room, leaving the players on the pitch.
The police then came onto the field of play, and there was doubt as to whether the game would end up being cancelled. However 15 minutes after the incident the refereeing team reappeared to restart the game and play the remaining five minutes. There were no further incidents.
Huesca come back to win
Tenerife had taken the lead before having Carlos Ruiz sent off after 32 minutes. Cucho Hernandez, the striker on loan from Watford, scored the ensuing penalty before Tenerife went ahead again on the stroke of half-time.
A number of decisions went against the home side as Huesca then went on to take a 4-2 lead before the incident involving the thrown object.
After the win, Huesca move top of the table with Sporting Gijon and Rayo Vallecano set to play on Sunday against Cadiz and Barcelona B respectively.
Tenerife remain outside of the promotion places on 52 points with a five-point gap to Cadiz, who sit in sixth place on 57.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?