Fernando Llorente: Athletic Club leadership rule out Spurs man
The Tottenham Hotspur forward has remained on Athletic's radar since leaving for Juventus in 2013, but is unlikely to return under the current club president.
Fernando Llorente has had to make do with a place on the bench at Tottenham Hotspur, with Harry Kane the undisputed No.9 in Mauricio Pochettino's plans.
Urrutia and Llorente parted with bad blood
The 33-year-old forward left Athletic Club for Juventus in 2013 after 17 years at the club he joined as a boy. Llorente has always responded positively when asked about Athletic, leaving the door open to a possible return to San Mamés in the future.
Athletic, however, are less interested. Llorente left for Juventus on bad terms with club president Josu Urrutia, and it is unlikely that he will return with the current leadership in place, despite Llorente being the most obvious candidate to jostle with Aritz Aduriz for the target-man role in the Athletic team. This could change after the club elections - which are expected to be held in late 2018 - or if a new manager calls for a change in the club's stance.
Valencia keen on Llorente
Valencia could be a more likely destination. With the club highly likely to compete in the Champions League next season, coach Marcelino is keen to supplement his current attacking options with an experienced striker.
Simone Zaza and Santi Mina will stay at Valencia but Rodrigo could leave this summer.
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system