Sergio Ramos equals Real Madrid legend Pirri in El Clásico
The Real Madrid captain made his 561st appearance for the club in Camp Nou, bringing him level in eighth on the all-time list of record appearance-makers.
Sergio Ramos made his 561st appearance for Madrid in Sunday's Clásico in the Camp Nou, taking him up to eighth in the list of players with most appearances for Real Madrid and level with Bernabéu legend José Martínez Pirri.
Pirri was a member of the so-called Ye-yé generation of Madrid players that lifted the club’s sixth European Cup against Partizan Belgrade and reached his number of appearances in 16 seasons at the club. Ramos equals Pirri during his 13th season at Madrid and next up for the captain is José Antonio Camacho, who played 577 times for Madrid.
Ramos will reach that figure next season, when he will also be able to catch Fernando Hierro and Paco Gento, who both made 601 appearances for Madrid.
Ramos second-highest scoring defender in Madrid history
Pirri won 10 Liga titles, four Copas del Rey and one European Cup while Ramos has four Ligas, two Copas and three Champions League titles to his name.
Pirri started out as a forward and scored 171 times during his Madrid career, later dropping back into midfield and defence due to his combative playing style. Ramos has found the net 72 times in his 560 games for the club, making him the second-highest scoring defender in the club’s history ahead of Roberto Carlos (68) but some distance short of Hierro, who bagged 127 times for Madrid but was a penalty taker and a direct free-kick specialist.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future