Real Madrid fan Nadal explains wearing Atlético shirt: I was cold
Rafa Nadal raised eyebrows after being spotted with an Atlético Madrid shirt around his neck at the club's Europa League clash with Arsenal.
Real Madrid fan Rafa Nadal says he only wore an Atlético Madrid shirt because he was cold.
Tennis world number one Nadal was pictured at the second leg of Atlético Madrid's Europa League semi-final against Arsenal.
Diego Simeone's men won 1-0 to book a final clash against Marseille, but Nadal's presence at the Wanda Metropolitano - wearing an Atlético shirt around his neck - raised eyebrows.
The Spaniard, set to begin his Madrid Open title defence on Tuesday, attended the game as a guest of Atlético's president Enrique Cerezo.
"It was a little bit chilly, a little bit cold...that's all"
"Well, there is a problem with today's society, that to be a true supporter of one team, it seems that you have to be anti another team," Nadal told reporters. "I just support Real Madrid. I have a lot of friends that are Atlético fans.
"They are playing in a competition in Europe against an English team. I just went there to support Atlético Madrid. They invited me. I just wanted to enjoy the day, to see a great football match.
"The [Atletico] president gave me a shirt as a gift. At night it was a little bit chilly, a little bit cold, and I just used it as a scarf. That's all.
"But it's always the same stuff. Maybe there's too much hypocrisy, or I would say you people in the media have to write too many things, so you have to explore some stupid things."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Why is the social security Cost-of-Living Adjustment for 2022 projected at 6.0% to 6.1%?
- NFL Injury struck Baltimore Ravens face the Kansas City Chiefs
- Emmy Awards 2021 How are Emmy awards chosen?
- EMMY AWARDS 2021 2021 Emmy Awards: Times, TV, how to stream and watch online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Klopp gives lowdown after win over Crystal Palace
- LIGUE 1 PSG vs Lyon, how and where to watch - Messi home debut, times, TV, online