Calleja earns new contract after Europa League qualification
Javi Calleja will remain in the dugout at Villarreal next season, having guided the Yellow Submarine to fifth in LaLiga after taking over in September.
Guiding Villarreal into the Europa League has earned coach Javi Calleja a one-year contract extension at the Estadio de la Cerámica.
Calleja was promoted from his role with the B team for the remainder of the season following the sacking of Fran Escriba last September after just six games in charge.
Villarreal were 14th when the 40-year-old took over, but they guaranteed a fifth-place finish in LaLiga and a return to the Europa League – which they were eliminated from at the last-32 stage by Lyon this term – by coming from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Real Madrid on Saturday.
An official club statement read: "Villarreal and Javi Calleja have reached a renewal agreement for the coach from Madrid to lead the Yellow Submarine during the 2018-19 season.
"A news conference will be held on Monday … in which a member of the Villarreal board and Javi Calleja himself will detail the agreement and discuss the news.
"The coach will continue to count on the support of his current staff."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In