Calleja earns new contract after Europa League qualification
Javi Calleja will remain in the dugout at Villarreal next season, having guided the Yellow Submarine to fifth in LaLiga after taking over in September.
Guiding Villarreal into the Europa League has earned coach Javi Calleja a one-year contract extension at the Estadio de la Cerámica.
Calleja was promoted from his role with the B team for the remainder of the season following the sacking of Fran Escriba last September after just six games in charge.
Villarreal were 14th when the 40-year-old took over, but they guaranteed a fifth-place finish in LaLiga and a return to the Europa League – which they were eliminated from at the last-32 stage by Lyon this term – by coming from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Real Madrid on Saturday.
An official club statement read: "Villarreal and Javi Calleja have reached a renewal agreement for the coach from Madrid to lead the Yellow Submarine during the 2018-19 season.
"A news conference will be held on Monday … in which a member of the Villarreal board and Javi Calleja himself will detail the agreement and discuss the news.
"The coach will continue to count on the support of his current staff."
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?