Van der Vaart: "I thought they would build a team around me"
The former Netherlands international has left Midtjylland after featuring for a total of six minutes for the senior side this season.
FC Midtjylland may be just a single game away from claiming the Danish Superliga title for a second time but Rafael van der Vaart’s spell at the MCH Arena has not quite gone according to plan as the 35-year-old nears the end of his two-year deal at the club.
The former Netherlands international joined Midtjylland from Betis in 2016 but spent most of his first season on the bench and during 2017-18 has managed just six minutes for the senior side and six appearances for the reserves.
Van der Vaart: "It hasn't worked out as I expected"
Speaking to local newspaper Herning Folkeblad, the midfielder expressed his disappointment with how his move Denmark has panned out. “When you have a player like me, you have to think to yourself: ‘We have Rafa here and we know what he is capable of, we should build a team around him.’ That is what I expected, but it hasn’t worked out that way.”
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement