Little debate about Lopetegui's Spain squad
Lopetegui announced his Spain squad for the World Cup in Russia, and there's little or nothing to debate. One interesting thing was the fact that in a poll the night before 23 players were picked by our readers and 22 turned out to be correct. The only difference is Monreal, as a substitute left back, going in place of Marcos Alonso. I'm sad for him, a player with an impressive pedigree, but nobody can argue that the decision is unfair. Just as they wouldn't have been able to had it been the other way round. As someone said to me a long time ago, depending on the position, the difference could be just two percent. But only one person decides, as fairly as they can, based on their best knowledge and understanding.
No Morata for Spain
Morata isn't going. His decision to leave Real Madrid to escape the shadow of Benzema hasn't worked out. He's had a poor season, unlike Iago Aspas and Rodrigo. Diego Costa arrived at Atlético in January and Lopetegui likes him, evidently. These three offer different solutions depending on the match and the stage in the tournament. If you had to name a flaw in the squad it's the lack of a substitute for Sergio Busquets. But Illarramendi doesn't fully believe in himself, as was shown in Madrid; Javi Martínez has been hit by injury and Rodri needs another season. So we'll just have to look after Busquets, who controls the crossroads of so many games.
I like this Spain squad
If things go wrong, Saúl, Koke or Thiago could fill in, though it won't be the same. As to the rest, I think they're a formidable group, very experienced, with players from Madrid, Barcelona, Atlético and the Premier League, which means they are accustomed to playing at the very highest level, and all the pressure that comes with that. They've played so many top games, both with their clubs and the Spain team. Many have 100 caps or are getting close, with four (Reina, Sergio Ramos, Silva and Iniesta) who have been with the side since Luis Aragonés changed things forever. Yes, I like this squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August