Lazio considering move for Eto'o as Nani's loan comes to an end
The Portuguese will return to parent club Valencia this summer and the Serie A side are considering bringing in Eto'o, who is still banging them in in Turkey.
Although Samuel Eto’o has been off the radar of Europe’s top five leagues for several years, the former Barcelona striker has not lost his touch. At the age of 37, Eto’o is still knocking them in the Turkish Süper Lig, scoring 12 times and providing four assists in spells with Antalyaspor, where he was captain and scored 44 times in 77 appearances, and Konyaspor, the club he moved to in the January transfer window.
Eto’o is under contract at Konyaspor until 2019 but could be set for a return to a grander stage in Serie A next season. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Lazio are considering a surprise bid for the four-time African Player of the Year as a replacement for Nani, who will return to parent club Valencia this summer.
Eto'o on familiar ground in Serie A
Eto’o is no stranger to Serie A having spent two seasons at Inter Milan, where he was part of José Mourinho’s treble winners in 2009-10, and a brief spell at Sampdoria in 2015.
Lazio are not opposed to signing veterans and had Miroslav Klose in their ranks for five seasons between 2011 and 2016, when the former Germany international retired at the age of 37.
Despite Eto’o’s contract situation, Inter are confident that they can persuade Konyaspor to part with the striker this summer.
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped