World Cup 2018: Argentina call up Pérez to replace Lanzini
Manuel Lanzini's injury has resulted in Enzo Pérez returning to the Argentina squad for the World Cup in Russia.
Enzo Pérez has been called into the Argentina squad as the replacement for Manuel Lanzini after the West Ham midfielder was ruled out of the World Cup with injury.
Lanzini out of World Cup after rupturing ACL in training
Lanzini was in contention for a starting spot in Russia until he sustained a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during a training session this week.
River Plate midfielder Pérez has taken his spot in Jorge Sampaoli's 23-man squad, having made three appearances at the last World Cup - he started in the semi-final and the final.
[SELECCIÓN MAYOR] El volante Enzo Pérez será el futbolista que reemplazará a Manuel Lanzini en la convocatoria. pic.twitter.com/0mUb7ygs7r— Selección Argentina (@Argentina) June 9, 2018
Pérez yet to feature for Argentina this year
The 32-year-old has not appeared for Argentina in 2018, but he played the full 90 minutes in October's decisive qualifying win at Ecuador and was part of Sampaoli's preliminary group.
Pérez has been preferred to the likes of Guido Pizarro, Diego Perotti, Leandro Paredes and Rodrigo Battaglia.
Iceland up first for Argentina on 16 June
Argentina begin their World Cup campaign against Iceland next Saturday.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In