Hummels to miss Germany-Sweden, confirms Low
Germany coach Joachim Low says he will be without defender Mats Hummels for Saturday's World Cup game against Sweden.
Germany defender Mats Hummels will miss his side's World Cup clash with Sweden due to a neck injury, says coach Joachim Low.
Hummels was one of a number of players to criticise Germany's tactics after a 1-0 loss to Mexico in their Group F opener.
The Bayern Munich centre-back later said talks in Germany's training camp had cleared the air ahead of facing Sweden in Sochi.
But Hummels will not be available for the crucial clash, with Low having alternative options such as Antonio Rudiger in reserve.
"Hummels won't be able to play tomorrow. He hurt his neck [vertebrae] yesterday and he hasn't improved today," Low told a news conference.
"He cannot train but there's still some time. When things like that happen, it doesn't improve overnight.
"We need players good in aerial play. I have an idea, a match plan for tomorrow. We will see what the final session yields."
Germany could be knocked out if they lose to Sweden depending on Mexico's result in their second pool match against South Korea.
Te recomendamos en English
- International Soccer Mexico 2-3 Ecuador summary: score, goals, highlights, exhibition match
- MLB Braves vs. Astros commentary, scores, stats and updates: World Series Game 2
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- NFL Report: Cardinals DE J.J. Watt could miss rest of season
- NFL Who plays Thursday night football?
- NBA Lakers outclassed in Oklahoma in a night of NBA surprises