Pickford adamant critical Courtois not much better than him
England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford was not impacted by recent remarks about his performance made by Thibaut Courtois and remains confident in himself.
Jordan Pickford is convinced Thibaut Courtois is not much better than him after the Belgium star appeared to criticise his fellow goalkeeper following England's World Cup defeat to Roberto Martinez's side. Belgium beat England 1-0 in their final World Cup group game to secure top spot ahead of the Three Lions, with Adnan Januzaj securing the win with a fine strike.
Pickford blamed for Januzaj winner
Pickford was criticised by many for not keeping out the shot of his former Sunderland team-mate, with some suggesting he went for it with the wrong hand. Courtois's analysis of the goal saw him focus on Pickford's height and technique, and although the Chelsea star later insisted he was not criticising his counterpart, the Everton shot-stopper says he paid the comments little heed.
"I would not let that affect me," Pickford told reporters. "It is just a game of football. I don't let anything like that [criticism] affect me. I'm just a normal lad. It's only football. A lot of people think I am only young, but it is my second season in the Premier League, and I do not feel as if I am far away from guys like that [Courtois]. I got a lot of games under my belt in the lower leagues, and I don't feel the Premier League or this [England] is that much different. In some way, non-league and League Two was the hard challenge."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- OTHER SPORTS Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua: A fight for the ages
- WOMEN IN SPORTS Women athletes urge Supreme Court to protect abortion rights
- AFGHANISTAN Why are Afghan women judges in hiding in Afghanistan and how are they being protected?
- NFL Dolphins QB Tagovailoa “day-to-day” after Sunday’s rib injury
- NFL Detroit Lions 17 vs 35 Green Bay Packers summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2