Atlético's Thomas Partey wins Ghana Player of the Year Award
The 25-year-old midfielder picked up his gong at the inauguaral Ghana Football Awards and is under contract at the Metropolitano until 2023.
Atlético Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey has been named Ghanaian Player of the Year at the inaugural Ghana Football Awards in Accra.
The 25-year-old international also picked up the award for the best player at a foreign club after a breakthrough season at Atlético in which he made 50 appearances and scored five goals. Thomas was also installed as captain of his national team as Ghana seek to build a side capable of challenging for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations around the versatile midfielder.
Diego Simeone persuaded Thomas to stay at Atlético last summer by telling him he was an important part of his future plans and he signed a contract extension until 2023.
Thomas to profit from Gabi departure
Thomas worked his way into the first team in 2017-18 and is now a fundamental part of Simeone’s side, a position that was strengthened last week when club captain Gabi left to join Al-Sadd. Although predominantly a defensive midfielder, Thomas proved his value to the club last season by filling in at right back when Juanfran and Sime Vrsaljko were injured, playing there six times including during the Europa League semi-final victory against Arsenal. He also featured in central midfield, as a central defender and on the right of midfield.
Ghana currently top their Africa Cup of Nations qualifying group ahead of Sierra Leone, Kenya and Ethiopia. Thomas has been capped 15 times by his country and has scored five times in his last five games, including a hat-trick against Republic of the Congo in qualifying for the 2019 tournament.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos vs Cleveland Browns live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 7
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries