De Bruyne: Mbappé can be a star for the next 15 years
Kevin De Bruyne hopes Belgium can thwart Kylian Mbappe in the semi-finals of the World Cup, but believes his star will continue to rise.
Kylian Mbappé can be a star of world football for the next 15 years, according to Belgium midfielder Kevin De Bruyne. France and Mbappé meet De Bruyne and his international colleagues in Tuesday's World Cup semi-final in St Petersburg. The teenage forward sprung to prominence 18 months ago after breaking into Monaco's first team.
Manchester City star De Bruyne conceded he knew little about the youngster before he scored in both legs of a remarkable Champions League last-16 tie against his club that finished 6-6 on aggregate, with the Ligue 1 side prevailing on away goals.
Mbappé "a different player now" - De Bruyne
"He's become a star in France," the 27-year-old told a news conference when discussing Mbappé, who moved to Paris Saint-Germain last August in a loan move since made permanent. "When I was playing against Monaco he had only played about 10 matches. He hadn't played a lot of football, to tell the truth. At that time I didn't know him but now he's been playing for a year and a half. He plays for a great team. He's played a lot for France, he's played a lot of Champions League. He's a different player now."
Mbappé sat out training at Krestovsky Stadium on Monday but France boss Didier Deschamps said he expects his whole squad to be fit to face Belgium.
"He's a different player now," De Bruyne added. "He's a star for the next 15 years. He's had a fantastic year – he can even improve, if that's possible.
"He can be dangerous for us but we are going to try and stop him from playing."
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August