Griezmann: France win over Belgium "a bit like Atlético"
Les Bleus advanced to the World Cup final with a 1-0 win over Belgium in a performance likened to his club's style by the striker.
Antoine Griezmann compared France to club side Atletico Madrid after they advanced to the World Cup final with a 1-0 win over Belgium in St Petersburg on Tuesday.
Les Bleus will play in Sunday's showpiece against either Croatia or England in Moscow after Samuel Umtiti's goal in the 51st minute proved enough for the 1998 champions.
Belgium players Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois complained after the game that France had played "anti-football" but Griezmann was unconcerned.
It is a second consecutive major tournament final appearance for France after finishing runners-up to Portugal when they hosted Euro 2016, and Griezmann hopes for French joy during the World Cup final.
"I am happy with the performance of my team-mates," he told L'Equipe "We defended and scored a goal on a set-piece. It was a bit like Atlético.
"It's amazing to see the joy we can give. This was the goal I had set myself at the beginning of the tournament."
Griezmann has been one of France's most influential players in Russia, scoring three goals and assisting twice in six matches.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What has Biden said about Justice Breyer's replacement on the Supreme Court?
- SIGA SIGA Global Mentorship Program creating the next generation of female leaders
- NFL How many Super Bowls have the San Francisco 49ers won?
- NFL Chiefs fans donate $223K to Buffalo hospital to mark win vs Bills
- NBA Statue of Kobe and Gianna Bryant erected at crash site
- NBA Giannis admits Cavs deserves greater respect after Bucks win