Jorginho thrilled to join Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea
As expected, Premier League champions Manchester City have been beaten to the signing of Jorginho from Napoli by Chelsea and Maurizio Sarri.
Jorginho has picked Chelsea over Manchester City, with his move to Stamford Bridge from Napoli confirmed in the wake of Maurizio Sarri's appointment as head coach on Saturday. The midfielder was reported to be very close to finalising a move to City, but Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis suggested the player preferred a move to London, despite the Italian club accepting a bid from the Premier League champions. Chelsea have now won the battle to sign the Italy international, who has agreed terms on a five-year deal to be reunited with Sarri at Stamford Bridge.
Jorginho thrilled by Chelsea move
"I am absolutely ecstatic to be here at Chelsea. It is not easy to become part of such a big team so I am very, very happy," Jorginho said. "I am excited to play in such an intense league, for a team that gives everything to play and win."
Jorginho – who will wear the number five shirt at his new club – was a pivotal player for Napoli, helping them win the Coppa Italia in 2014 less than six months after his arrival from Verona. However, the 26-year-old was unable to help Sarri’s side break Juventus’ stranglehold on Serie A, as they finished runners up to the Bianconeri in two of the last three seasons.
"We are delighted Jorginho has chosen to join Chelsea," club director Marina Granovskaia told Chelsea’s website. "He was one of the most coveted midfielders in Europe and will become an important member of the playing squad. He has demonstrated his quality working under Maurizio Sarri and we are convinced his signing will help bring further success to Stamford Bridge."
Jorginho's arrival follows on from the appointment of Sarri, who signed a three-year contract to replace Antonio Conte.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes