Kuznetsova saves four match points to win Citi Open
The two-time grand slam champion completed a remarkable comeback to celebrate her first WTA title since 2016 in Washington.
Svetlana Kuznetsova staged a stunning rally against Donna Vekic by fending off four match points to claim the WTA Citi Open.
Kuznetsova faced a straight-sets defeat in Washington, where seventh seed Vekic had four opportunities to reign supreme in the second set.
But two-time grand slam champion Kuznetsova never surrendered as the 33-year-old Russian completed a remarkable comeback 4-6 7-6 (9-7) 6-2 on Sunday.
The former world number two – who has fallen to 128th in the rankings due to injuries – faced a pair of match points as Vekic tried to close it out at 5-4 in the second.
Kuznetsova, however, saved both and survived another two in the tie-break as she forced a third and deciding set against the Croatian.
It was one-way traffic from that point, with Kuznetsova racing out to a 5-0 lead in the third before celebrating her 18th WTA title and first since Moscow 2016.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7