Griezmann named Atlético's third captain, Godín replaces Gabi
Diego Godín will replace the former captain Gabi, who left the club this summer, and Koke, Antoine Griezmann and Juanfran are the other three captains of Atlético Madrid.
Atlético Madrid have confirmed their captains for the coming season and for the first time since 2012, recently-departed Gabi will not have the armband. The midfielder moved to Al-Sadd and left a hole in Atlético Madrid's midfield along with a vacant captain's bracelet. Diego Godín, the non-Spaniard with the most appearances in the history of Atlético Madrid, will take over from the legendary midfield man.
Koke will back-up the Uruguayan as he continues to move up the ranks in Atlético's hierarchy. The goodbye of Fernando Torres this summer means two of the four captains who raised the Europa League trophy at Neptuna fountain in Madrid last season have departed.
The third captain this season will be Antoine Griezmann, who will play in his fifth season in red and white. The Frenchman made an important decision this summer to stay and renew with the club despite interest and a concrete offer from Barcelona and he has been rewarded for his choice. The fourth spot on the captain's list falls to Juanfran. According to reports, Saúl Ñíguez will be the fifth captain but the club only confirmed the first four.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS In which states did unemployment claims increase last week?
- CONSTITUTION DAY When was the US Constitution signed?
- US NEWS How will Biden respond to the wave of migrants gathered under a Texas bridge?
- NFL New York Giants 29 vs 33 Washington Football Team summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2
- NFL Nick Gates breaks leg, New York Giants offensive linesman suffers fracture vs Washington
- MLB Angels’ Ohtani’s arm sore, may miss rest of season as pitcher