De Jong confirms Ajax stay after Champions League qualification
Despite the midfielder being strongly linked with a move to Barcelona, Frenkie de Jong has confirmed he is staying at Ajax.
Barcelona target Frenkie de Jong has confirmed he will not leave Ajax after helping his team qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.
Eredivisie giants Ajax held Dynamo Kiev to a 0-0 draw in Ukraine on Tuesday, ensuring they progressed thanks to their 3-1 home win in the first leg.
De Jong has long been linked with Barcelona, with the LaLiga champions reportedly still keen to strengthen their midfield ahead of Friday's transfer deadline.
But the 21-year-old insisted he is going nowhere after Ajax booked a seat at Europe's table.
Barcelona? "Maybe someday"
"Maybe someday I'll join Barcelona, but not this season," he told NOS. "I'm staying at Ajax. I think it will be a good year.
"I'd love to play with Ajax against Barcelona. Our squad is good and we deserved to reach the group stage. Now we're about to find out what we're capable of in the Champions League.
"It will be my first time [facing those big opponents], but I hope to draw a group with perspective to march on."
Ajax's teenage defender Matthijs de Ligt has also been linked with a move to Camp Nou.
Te recomendamos en English
- UFC UFC 266: Volkanovski's sweary outburst after brutal title defence over Ortega
- NFL Who plays Sunday Night Football tonight? | TV, time and following games in NFL Week 3
- REAL MADRID Camavinga: "Playing at the 2022 World Cup is a goal for me"
- PSG PSG given Messi boost ahead of Man City Champions League tie
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals break record amid 15-game winning run
- CORONAVIRUS US Where are the Delta variant danger zones?