With Carlo Ancelotti set to announce Brazil’s squad, Neymar insists he is fit and ready despite Santos’ crushing defeat.

Neymar explodes: “They took me out of the game...”
Neymar tried, but it was not enough. Just when Santos needed him most, the team failed to deliver. Peixe’s crushing 3-0 loss to Coritiba has left Neymar with almost no margin for error in his bid to secure a place in Carlo Ancelotti’s Brazil squad. To make matters worse, the forward reacted to his controversial substitution with biting sarcasm: “They took me out of the game.”
Why was Neymar substituted?
Santos’ No. 10 was substituted following what the club described as a “communication error” between the fourth official and a member of the coaching staff. Manager Cuca had ordered Robinho Jr. to replace Escobar. However, the electronic board showed Neymar’s number instead while the Brazilian star was standing near the sideline after feeling discomfort in his calf.
The images quickly spread across social media, and Neymar did not miss the opportunity to take aim at what he considered another glaring refereeing mistake.
Wearing a Brazil-colored jacket that he said was “a gift from a friend, Romeo Beckham, Beckham’s son,” the former Barcelona and PSG star made little effort to hide his frustration after the game.
“My calf? It was just a knock. I wanted to keep playing, but the referee took me out of the game,” Neymar told reporters outside Vila Belmiro. “It was a serious officiating mistake. It was the error of the person who received the substitution slip, the one I showed to the camera. Proof of the robbery. You can’t argue with the referee. It’s a mistake that hurt us and one that cannot happen.”

Match report blames Santos for substitution mix-up
According to Brazilian outlet UOL, the official match report points toward an error by Santos in communicating the substitution.
“At the 20-minute mark, the fourth official, Mr. Bruno Mota Correia, was verbally informed by assistant coach Carlos César Sampaio Campos that there would be a substitution involving Santos Futebol Clube player No. 10, Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior, who was already off the field receiving medical treatment,” the report states.
Neymar ficou maluco, e com total razão. pic.twitter.com/I4L4ByhHlZ
— out of context brasileirão (@oocbrsao) May 17, 2026
It continued: “After the substitution had been completed, the same assistant coach handed over a substitution slip with a different number than the one previously communicated and confirmed. The fourth official was then approached by Santos staff claiming the number was incorrect, which differed from the verbal and gestured communication given before the board was raised.”
Neymar still believes he belongs at the World Cup
Despite the controversy and Santos’ poor collective display, Neymar was widely viewed as the only player to escape criticism. The 34-year-old knows his place at next summer’s World Cup is far from guaranteed.
With fewer than 24 hours remaining before Ancelotti unveils his final 26-man roster, Neymar insisted he has not lost faith.
“It’s my dream. I’ve always made that very clear to you, to play in the World Cup. I’ve worked for this,” he said in the mixed zone.
While the Brazilian federation has monitored his progress throughout the season, Ancelotti’s biggest concern remains Neymar’s physical condition.
“If he is 100%, he’ll be on the list. It depends on him,” the Italian manager has reportedly said on multiple occasions.
Neymar believes he has answered those doubts.
“I feel very good physically. I’ve improved with every game and I did the best I could. It wasn’t easy. I admit it wasn’t easy,” he said. “There were years of hard work and also a lot of unfair comments about my condition and what I was doing. It’s sad the way people talk about that. I worked hard, quietly, at home, suffering because of what people said, and everything worked out.”
🎙️NEYMAR JR:
— Ginga Bonito 🇧🇷 (@GingaBonitoHub) May 17, 2026
“My calf? It was just a knock. I wanted to keep playing but the referee took me out of the game.” 🇧🇷 pic.twitter.com/H1LksYlV0p
He added: “I arrived healthy where I wanted to be. I’m happy with my performances and with everything I’ve done so far. May God’s will be done tomorrow. Whatever happens, Ancelotti will certainly call up the best 26 players for this battle.”
Ancelotti will officially announce Brazil’s World Cup squad in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET. Meanwhile, Santos are preparing a tribute event for Neymar ahead of the team’s next game. Inside the club, optimism is growing: Neymar is expected to be on the plane to North America.
Related stories
Get closer to the game! Whether you like your soccer of the European variety or that on this side of the pond, our AS USA app has it all. Dive into live coverage, expert insights, breaking news, exclusive videos, and more. Plus, stay updated on NFL, NBA and all other big sports stories as well as the latest in current affairs and entertainment. Download now for all-access coverage, right at your fingertips – anytime, anywhere.
And there’s more: check out our TikTok and Instagram reels for bite-sized visual takes on all the biggest soccer news and insights.
Complete your personal details to comment