Kompany: "Man City must kick United while they're down"
Vincent Kompany admits he feels some sympathy for struggling Manchester United, though he wants City to take advantage of their neighbours' struggles.
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany said the Premier League champions must keep kicking neighbours Manchester United while they are down as the Red Devils continue to struggle following Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement. United have not won the Premier League since 2012-13 – Ferguson's final season at Old Trafford – with City enjoying a change in momentum and dominance in Manchester.
Fondness for Ferguson
Pep Guardiola's record-breaking City finished 19 points clear of United last season, while José Mourinho's side have lost two of their opening three matches this season. Kompany feels some sympathy for United, though he wants City to take advantage in the quest for more silverware.
"I'll give the neighbours a little bit, I'll have compassion for them, because Sir Alex Ferguson was such a big personality," Belgian defender Kompany said. "You cannot take somebody like that out of a club and think that everything is going to continue like before. You always need a transition period. Manchester United are still dealing with a post-Ferguson era. So they will get that side of me, feeling compassionate. But any time it takes them to get back up, we need to take advantage of it."
Benítez's Newcastle, City's guests this weekend
City welcome Newcastle United to the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, while United are away to Burnley on Sunday as they seek to avoid three consecutive defeats.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES How many Olympic medals has the USA volleyball team won?
- OLYMPICS Alternative Tokyo Olympics Medal tables: how would countries rank according to other factors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the longest race in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: When I was 13, I was playing RuneScape! – Peaty congratulates Sky Brown
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Marathon rules, distance and course at the Tokyo 2021 Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBAL How many olympic medals does LeBron James have?