Potapova and Gasparyan to meet in Tashkent final
Anastasia Potapova and Margarita Gasparyan will be opponents in the Tashkent singles final and are also in the running for the doubles final in Uzbekistan.
Doubles partners Anastasia Potapova and Margarita Gasparyan will meet in an all-Russian Tashkent Open final on Saturday.
Potapova reached her second decider of the year with a commanding 6-2 6-3 victory over Kateryna Kozlova.
The 17-year-old qualifier, beaten by Olga Danilovic in the Moscow River Cup final in July, took just 56 minutes to dump Ukrainian Kozlova out.
Potapova hit 23 winners and made only 14 unforced errors in another impressive performance, breaking five times to move a step closer to a maiden title.
Gasparyan has not won a tournament for three years, but that could change this weekend after she saw off Mona Barthel 4-6 6-1 7-5.
The 24-year-old, benefitting from a protected ranking after missing much of last season due to injury, won three games in a row after being 5-4 down in the deciding set to reach her first final since winning her only title in Baku.
Potapova and Gasparyan will pair up to compete for a place in the doubles final later on Friday, facing top-seeded Romanians Irina-Camelia Begu and Raluca Olaru.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up