Guardiola wants Kompany to extend Manchester City stay
Vincent Kompany will be out of contract at the end of this season but coach Pep Guardiola wants the Manchester City defender to renew terms with the club.
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola hopes Vincent Kompany extends his stay with the Premier League champions. Kompany, 32, has been at the club for 10 years, but his contract expires next summer. Injuries have ruined recent campaigns for the Belgium international, who has made five appearances in all competitions this season. Asked if he wanted captain Kompany to be a City player next season, Guardiola said: "Yes. That is my wish."
Kompany played 90 minutes in City's 3-0 win over Oxford United in the EFL Carabao Cup on Tuesday. Guardiola was impressed by the centre-back's performance, saying Kompany was a good leader for City.
"It's incredible. He played the Carabao Cup like it's the final of the Champions League. That means a lot to me," he said. "If he plays five minutes then they are going to be the best five minutes in his life. He is a good example for Phil Foden and the rest of our squad. Unfortunately in the past it was the injuries but I think in the last few months he's feeling better."
City host Brighton and Hove Albion in the Premier League on Saturday.
PEP (On @VincentKompany's testimonial): Ten years is a long time, he is incredible.— Manchester City (@ManCity) September 28, 2018
Unfortunately, he had injuries, but last month I feel that he is feeling better.
Testimonial in August? Are we not on holiday then?! I will be there! pic.twitter.com/G9BNd3Ei20
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 6
- NFL Ravens' John Harbaugh thinks Jackson critique misses point
- NFL Which NFL players have 'gone broke' after their career?
- SOCCER Real Madrid team news, possible starting XI against Shakhtar
- NBA NBA 21/22 season: How much does a cheerleader earn?
- MLB Astros vs. Red Sox live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series