Halep aggravates back injury in China Open retirement
The world number one admitted she is "worried" by an ongoing back problem that places her participation at the WTA Finals in jeopardy.
Simona Halep was forced to retire in the first round of the China Open after suffering a reoccurrence of her troubling back injury.
The world number one dropped the opening set 6-1 against Tunisian qualifier Ons Jabeur before declaring she was unable to continue.
Halep, who has already qualified for next month's WTA Finals, battled the same issue during a lacklustre 6-0 7-5 defeat to Dominika Cibulkova at the Wuhan Open last week.
Her latest setback continues a difficult couple of months, the 27-year-old having been stunned by Kaia Kanepi in the first round of the US Open after claiming her maiden Grand Slam title at the French Open in June.
"I'm just worried now. I feel sad that I couldn't finish," Halep said after the match.
"I don't know exactly what it is. I will go home. I will have an MRI and I will see."
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT Global Citizen 2021 live online: singers, performances and concerts
- GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN 2021 Why is the White House planning for a government shutdown?
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: how many signatures does the petition for the new payment have?
- SERIE A Honours even between Inter and Atalanta at San Siro
- PREMIER LEAGUE Enthralling Brentford-Liverpool clash ends with honours even
- SOCCER Man City: Guardiola "proud" after breaking record in Chelsea win