Gattuso: "André Silva wanted to go, we didn't kick him out"
The Milan manager was asked about the in-form Sevilla striker after his side's slow start in Serie A and insisted it wasn't his decision to send him packing.
AC Milan picked up a much-needed victory over Sassuolo on Sunday to halt a stuttering start to their Serie A season, which has reaped just two wins in six games to leave the Rossoneri in 10th and 12 points adrift of leaders Juventus.
In the press room after the game, which ended 4-1 to Milan, Gennaro Gattuso was asked about the form of on-loan Sevilla striker André Silva, who has scored seven times in LaLiga this season to fire his side to third while Milan’s entire squad have managed just 12.
“He didn’t want to stay,” Gattuso said. “He wanted to leave at all costs. He’s scoring goals now and we did everything possible to persuade him to stay but he wanted to go, like [Carlos] Bacca when he went to Villarreal.”
Gattuso seeking striking options in absence of Higuaín
Silva struggled during his single season at San Siro, scoring just twice in Serie A before joining Sevilla on loan last summer. Now LaLiga’s top scorer, he has outperformed his replacement and Milan’s star signing of last summer, Gonzalo Higuaín, the Argentinean managing just two goals in four Serie A games this season.
The Argentinean has been unavailable for Milan’s last two league matches with a muscle problem and Gattuso fielded Samu Castillejo as a forward against Sassuolo, a ploy that worked with the former Villarreal player on target on Sunday but the Italian press have questioned Milan’s transfer policy in view of Silva’s run of form.
“I know that André is proving decisive at Sevilla but it was him that decided to leave. Nobody kicked him out,” Gattuso said.
Te recomendamos en English
- Space Missions Where did the SpaceX capsule splashdown?
- NFL Colts vs Rams: Eric Fisher possible starter, coming back after Achilles surgery
- Not this one Jimmy Greaves 1940-2021: English football's greatest ever goalscorer
- Soccer Crisis at Manchester United: Solskjaer rejects Ferdinand's Ronaldo
- PREMIER LEAGUE West Ham vs Manchester United live online: scores, stats and updates, Premier League 2020/21
- NBA NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo visits Greece with mother and brother