The Philippine boxing idol added that he still intends to work out a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Philippine boxing idol Manny Pacquiao announced on Wednesday that he is "90% sure" that his next opponent will be Adrien Broner, per ABS-CBN News, adding that he still intends to work out a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
"Floyd is going to fight on December 31st and I'm going to fight on January 12th," he said. "After that, we'll know. ... He's coming back, we'll discuss it after Broner. (I’m) 90 per cent sure about the (Broner) bout' taking place". The fight is expected to be staged in Las Vegas.
Manny Pacquiao has reportedly told media in his native Philippines that he will be fighting Adrien Broner next in January. pic.twitter.com/Ab0Z5ftbLH— The Boxing Post (@theboxingp) 17 October 2018
New life after Matthysse fight
The 39-year-old boxing legend pumped new life into his boxing career in July when he delivered a knockout against the Argentine Lucas Matthysse. Since then, Pac-Man has defied calls to retire and promised to continue fighting, prompting unclear reports about a range of contenders. However, at a charity function late Wednesday in Manila, he told reporters “Broner, Adrien Broner.”
The achievements of the legendary Manny Pacquiao. pic.twitter.com/dKfOcvQ2RK— The Boxing Post (@theboxingp) 15 July 2018
Possible Mayweather rematch
Last month, Mayweather, 41, claimed he is coming out of retirement and returning to the ring to fight Pacquiao in a rematch of their 2015 bout that earned both men millions. However, no concrete plans of this fight have been given, with the North American announcing that he’s taking a tune-up contest in Tokyo later this year and that the Pac-Man rematch will follow, according to TMZ Sports.