Arnold Muhren sees De Ligt and De Jong joining Man United
One of Manchester United's former Dutch stars believes Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong would be excellent recruits for José Mourinho.
Ex-Manchester United and Ajax player Arnold Muhren believes his fellow Dutchmen Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong would represent excellent signings for the Premier League club. De Ligt and De Jong are the current generation's standout graduates of Ajax's fêted youth system, and Manchester City and Barcelona have both been linked as having an interest in the pair. As such, Muhren feels his countrymen could shine if they moved to Old Trafford.
"There are two [Dutch] players who are good enough - Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt," he told Omnisport. "They can play for Man United without any problems."
José Mourinho's frustrations over failing to secure a new centre-back during the most recent transfer window have been well documented. Muhren, who has heavily criticised the Portuguese's tenure at United, thinks the 19-year-old De Ligt could be the ideal candidate to slot into the heart of the defence.
"At United they've tried several centre-backs. Why could De Ligt not play there? He proved that he is strong enough. He is still young enough to grow. He'd get a lot more experience at United. United are still searching for the ideal centre-back. De Ligt would bring light to United. And United are assured of a player who can play there for years."
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many people will benefit from the Social Security increase in Texas?
- NFL Watt joins long list of players out for Packers vs Cardinals game
- International Soccer Mexico 2-3 Ecuador summary: score, goals, highlights, exhibition match
- SOCCER Ronald Koeman fired from FC Barcelona: who are the possible coaches that could replace him?
- Jokic won't miss extended time after knee injury vs. Jazz Tuesday
- MLB Braves vs. Astros live online, scores, stats and updates: World Series Game 2