Official: Copa Libertadores final postponed

Intense rain in Buenos Aires left the pitch at the Bombonera soaked ahead of the Boca Juniors v River Plate final. The match officials postponed the match which will now be played on Sunday.



The Copa Libertadores final between Boca Juniors and River Plate has been postponed after torrential rains all day in Buenos Aires left the pitch unplayable. 

The match officials carried out a pitch inspection at 19:15 CEST, an hour and three quarters ahead of the 21:00 CEST scheduled kick-off, and confirmed the first leg of the final of the Copa Libertadores could not be played today.

Tournament organisers Conmebol have confirmed the game will be played tomorrow, Sunday, at 20:00 CEST (16:00 local time), however the weather forecast is for persistent rain to fall throughout the night and during tomorrow. Boca president Daniel Angelici has said the decision to postpone the match was correct and that the pitch will remain unplayable if it receives much more water overnight.

Meeting on Sunday

There will be an emergency meeting between Daniel Angelici, Rodolfo D’Onofrio (River Plate), Alejandro Domínguez (CONMEBOL) and Claudio Tapia (AFA) on Sunday at 11:00 local time (15:00 CEST) to decide whether to go ahead with the game or not.

Boca Juniors pessimistic earlier in the day

Sources at Boca Juniors had previously told this newspaper that there was "no chance of the game being played", and despite the pitch draining well continuous rain saw the game forced to be postponed.   

Knowing the eyes of the world will be watching the first leg of the Copa Libertadores this Saturday, Boca’s ground staff had been working throughout to week to have the pitch in optimal conditions. AS’ Boca sources also pointed out a special drainage system is in place at the Alberto J. Armando stadium to deal with the heavy rain, but the level of precipitation proved to be too much even for the up to date technology.

This isn't the the first time in recent years the Superclásico has had to be suspended due to the weather. In 2010, referee Hector Baldassi made the decision to suspend the game just ten minutes before kick off as a result of heavy storms.