Ivory Coast appeals to CAS over 2021 Africa Cup of Nations loss
The Ivorian Football Federation has appealed against an alleged decision by the Confederation of African Football to strip the country of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.
The Ivorian Football Federation (FIF) has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against an alleged decision by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to strip the country of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.
Two weeks ago, CAF stripped the 2019 tournament from Cameroon due to delays in preparations and offered it the 2021 finals, however, this edition had already been awarded to Ivory Coast.
"The FIF was surprised to learn that the president of CAF decided on his own authority, without any prior consultation ... to reassign the 2021 edition, which was entrusted until then to Ivory Coast, to Cameroon," the FIF said in a statement.
"The preparation and work required to organize this great competition, which is particularly important for all Ivorian football and the Ivory Coast, constitutes important economic, financial and human investment. In view of all that has happened, the FIF has gone to CAS to appeal against the decision of CAF."
No official statement from CAF
There has been no official statement by CAF regarding the reassignment of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations. However, the Confederation’s president, Ahmad Ahmad, had indicated that Ivory Coast had been offered the hosting rights for 2023. Guinea, which has never hosted the competition, had been granted the rights to host the 2023 tournament. It would also be affected by this shift.
Te recomendamos en English
- El Clásico Who is José María Sánchez Martínez, the referee for El Clásico 2021 Barcelona - Real Madrid?
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Real Madrid: injured and sanctioned players for El Clásico 2021
- Serie A Allegri dubs Inter title favourites ahead of Derby d'Italia
- NBA Nash cheers Nets first win: "It'll take a while, it won't be pretty"
- MLB Astros never doubted they would beat Red Sox admits Baker
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers