Neymar has "painful recurrence" of foot injury, PSG confirm
Following medical checks, Paris Saint-Germain say Neymar has hurt the same metatarsal he broke last season.
Neymar has suffered a "painful recurrence" of the injury he sustained to his right foot last season, Paris Saint-Germain have said. The Brazil star limped out of Wednesday's 2-0 Coupe de France win over Strasbourg after appearing to twist his foot following a robust challenge from midfielder Moataz Zemzemi.
PSG statement on Neymar injury
Head coach Thomas Tuchel later admitted he was concerned for the player, who was sent to hospital for tests. PSG have since issued a statement to confirm Neymar has hurt the same metatarsal that he broke last February in a Ligue 1 win over Olympique de Marseille. The French champions have not stated whether the €222million forward has suffered another fracture, however.
"Initial examinations have revealed a painful recurrence of his injury to the fifth metatarsal of his right foot," the statement said. "The treatment of this injury will depend on how it evolves over the next few days. All options can be envisaged at this time."
United date approaching
The news is a major blow to Tuchel, whose side face Rennes, Olympique Lyon and Girondins de Bordeaux in Ligue 1 before a trip to Manchester United on 12 February for the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie.
PSG's victory on Wednesday came courtesy of goals from Edinson Cavani and Ángel Di María.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22