Infantino set to lead FIFA for another four years
FIFA has confirmed Gianni Infantino was the only individual to successfully submit their candidature for the presidential election in June.
Gianni Infantino is set to serve as FIFA president for another four years after being confirmed as the only candidate for election in June.
Infantino, 48, was the sole individual to successfully submit their candidature for the position prior to the February 5 deadline and will thus run unopposed.
Former Switzerland and Tottenham defender Ramon Vega had previously announced his intention to run for the office but was not included among the options.
Infantino was appointed FIFA president, taking over from Sepp Blatter, in February 2016 and has overseen the expansion of the World Cup to 48 teams from 2026.
The election will take place at the 69th FIFA Congress in Paris on June 5, 2019.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?