LaLiga report Gareth Bale for fan gesture in Madrid derby
The disciplinary case is now in the hands of the Competition Committee but sanctions have been recommended against the Welshman.
LaLiga has reported Gareth Bale to Spanish football's Competition Committee after the Real Madrid player made a gesture to Atlético fans in the derby in the Wanda Metropolitano stadium. The punishment could see the Welshman banned for up to three games.
Bale could miss up to three games
During an intense capital derby, Bale clinched the game with the third goal of a 1-3 victory. As if in response to the goading he had been getting from the stands, he celebrated with an arm gesture that was described by LaLiga as "inciting opposition fans."
The complaint comes at a time when tensions are high between the president of LaLiga, Javier Tebas, and Real Madrid with regard specifically to amendments in Spanish Sports Law and criticisms by Florentino Pérez of how the VAR system is being used domestically.
LaLiga states in the report that "such conduct is included in the actions prohibited and sanctioned by the aforementioned federal legal system" and that "it should be subject, where appropriate, to the imposition of penalties provided therein."
The report also details exactly when and how the gesture by Bale happened.
Clubs and players are - or, at least, should be - aware that any actions that could encite supporters will be referred to the committee who assess whether or not sanctions will be applied. This procedure was set up in an attempt to improve disciplinary behaviour across the league.
The action of the player was not approved of by referee, Estrada Fernández, or by the VAR referee, Martínez Munuera, although it is one of the incidents in the game that, based on current rules, cannot be judged on by the video assistant.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Herbert should electrify against Chiefs
- NFL Who plays Thursday Night Football tonight? | TV, time and following games in NFL Week 3
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?