Simeone: Atlético coach hit with UEFA charge over celebration
Diego Simeone has been charged over his controversial celebration in Atlético Madrid's Champions League last-16 win over Juventus.
UEFA have charged Diego Simeone with improper conduct over the Atlético Madrid coach's controversial celebration in last Wednesday's Champions League last-16 victory over Juventus.
Celebrates Giménez goal with 'big balls' gesture
Simeone reacted to José María Giménez's opener in the 2-0 first-leg win by clutching his crotch, in a gesture that he went on to explain was "because we've got big balls". Speaking post-match, he added: "You needed a pair of balls to field Koke and [Diego] Costa after how they were shaping up for the game physically".
The 48-year-old Argentine later apologised for the celebration, insisting that it was not directed at Juventus or the Italians' supporters, but was simply "an expression of how I felt about my players in the moment".
Given four-game touchline ban by UEFA last term
The possible punishments that Simeone could receive range from a warning to a fine and/or touchline ban, with his case for leniency unlikely to be helped by the fact that this is not the first time he has landed himself in trouble with UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body.
Last season, he earned himself a four-game suspension for being sent to the stands in the first leg of Atlético's Europa League semi-final win over Arsenal, a ban that meant he was absent from the dugout in Los Rojiblancos' subsequent final victory over Marseille.
Atleti go to Italy for Champions League return next month
Atlético take on Juventus in the second leg of the sides' Champions League tie in Turin on 12 March.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- MLB trade deadline Yankees get Rizzo from Cubs, Schwarber to Red Sox
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 30: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- Tokyo Olympics: Fraser-Pryce dazzles but Ta Lou sets the standard in stunning women's sprint heats
- NBA Wizards reportedly trade Westbrook to LA Lakers in draft-night blockbuster