Onana: Barcelona identify Cillessen replacement
According to Catalunya Ràdio, the Camp Nou board have identified the Ajax keeper as the ideal man to replace the Netherlands international.
Ajax keeper André Onana has emerged as a target for Barcelona as they seek a replacement for Jasper Cillessen, according to reports in Catalonia.
Cillessen appears set to leave Camp Nou this summer in search of a regular number one gig, the Netherlands international having been restricted to just seven appearances this season as understudy to Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, although injuries have also curtailed the 29-year-old’s playing time.
Now, Catalunya Ràdio has reported that Onana’s agent has informed Ajax of Barcelona’s interest in the Cameroon stopper with a bid expected to be forthcoming in the summer.
Onana viewed as long-term investment at Camp Nou
Onana came through the ranks at La Masia before moving to Ajax’s academy in 2015, going on to establish himself as the Dutch side’s number one and earning eight caps for his country following his debut in 2016.
Ajax are reportedly open to a bid in the region of 20 million euros, with Barça confident of getting around three times that amount for the Netherlands number one.
Cillessen will be given Barça’s blessing to leave after the keeper’s uncomplaining back-up role to Ter Stegen, which has seen the Dutchman make just 28 appearances for the Liga champions over three seasons, the majority of them in the Copa del Rey.
At 22, Onana is seen as a more long-term number two to the Germany international and his history with the club is a considerable bonus. His ability to play with his feet is also a coveted attribute at Camp Nou.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card
- MLB The regular season is closing in, and the division champions are not yet decided
- FINANCIAL NEWS Is the Evergrande bankruptcy affecting the US stock market?
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US: are the new variants more dangerous for children?