Villa's first Vissel Kobe goal downs Torres' Sagan Tosu
Vissel Kobe beat Sagan Tosu thanks to a first goal from David Villa, who described it as "a wonderful game".
David Villa scored his first goal for Vissel Kobe to give them a 1-0 J1 League win over a Sagan Tosu side featuring Fernando Torres.
Villa, making only his second appearance in Japan's top flight after leaving New York City, swept home following a defensive mix-up 54 minutes in to secure all three points for the home side.
"I am really pleased that I scored," the former Barcelona star said after the match. "I am more pleased that it has led to three points. I had a wonderful game. I want to continue like this."
Iniesta hopes this goal gets the ball rolling for Villa
Team-mate Andres Iniesta hopes it is the first of many goals for Villa, Spain's all-time top scorer.
"It was a really wonderful atmosphere - I really want to thank all the supporters," said Iniesta. "It was good that Villa scored in this game. Villa will continue to bring goals to this team."
It was a disappointing outing for fellow former Spain star Torres, who has lost both of his matches for Sagan Tosu this season.
"Playing against best friends and former team-mates on the pitch is a great thing in football. However, no result came into play," he said.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up