Atlético Madrid to push for Porto left-back Alex Telles
It looks like the 26-year-old Brazilian has been chosen to strengthen the left-back position should Filipe Luis leave. Filipe is out of contract in June.
Atlético de Madrid seem to have settled on who they want to occupy the left-back position next season - Porto's Alex Telles. Diario AS understands that Atleti have stepped up their monitoring of the Brazilian defender - especially after the recent transfer window in which, to balance the book and be able to bring in Álvaro Morata, the club were forced to sell Jonny to Wolverhampton, where he had been on loan practically since the rojiblancos signed him from Celta last year.
Filipe Luis future in doubt
Telles, 26, is under contract until June 2021 and is valued at 40 million euros. He's been on Atlético's radar since last summer when the club started the search to strengthen the left-back slot - the only position where Simeone doesn't have an alternative. This season, Filipe has suffered six injuries - the most serious being a fractured shin bone. Lucas, whose natural position is left-sided central defence, switched to full-back and did so well he was called up for France... and won the World Cup in Russia.
Back in January Atleti sent a scout to watch him during the goalless draw with Sporting Clube and it looks like Telles is top of the list of candidates for the left-back position. Among the other players Atlético are considering is Nicolás Tagliafico who is in Madrid with Ajax for this evening's Champions League Last 16 return leg. Atlético will be able to take a closer look at Tagliafico at the Bernabéu tonight although it appears they've already decided on Telles.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Child tax credit 2022: why did families only receive payments for six months?
- NFL Five takeaways from NFL playoffs divisional round: Rodgers, Mahomes...
- NFL San Francisco 49ers vs LA Rams: schedule, TV channel and where to watch live the NFC Conference finals
- WORLD NEWS Earthquakes in Israel: what magnitude were they and what are the consequences?
- Barcelona Barcelona have one week to complete two signings
- NFL Tom Brady too upset about Bucs' playoff exit to consider future