Real Madrid's Carvajal bemoans "shit season" after Ajax defeat
Dani Carvajal was not mincing his words as he reflected on Real Madrid's shock Champions League exit to Ajax on Tuesday evening.
A visibly emotional Dani Carvajal offered a frank assessment of Real Madrid's season after Tuesday's shock Champions League exit at the hands of Ajax, admitting that Los Blancos have endured a "shit" 2018/19 campaign.
Madrid, the winners of Europe's top club competition for the last three years, were sensationally dumped out at the last-16 stage as Ajax's 4-1 victory at the Bernabéu gave the Dutchmen a 5-3 aggregate triumph.
Carvajal's post-match interview:
Worst night: "Yes, that sums it up. I've never felt this bad. It's hard to put into words."
Horror week for Madrid after Copa del Rey and LaLiga hopes also dashed: "In the space of a week, we've dropped out of contention on every front. And tonight there can be no excuses. They were better than us and deserved to go through."
Reasons for heavy loss: "It's never easy when you're coming into it on the back of two home defeats to Barcelona, but we were focused and had our sights set on victory. But two mistakes left us 2-0 down, and the third goal killed us."
End of an era: "I don't think so. We have a young squad, with plenty of scope to get better. It's clear that our season's over, though. We'll keep on working hard in the league, because that's our task. We have to be professional and keep on fighting, [but] we can't get away from the fact that it's been a shit season."
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What has Biden said about Justice Breyer's replacement on the Supreme Court?
- SIGA SIGA Global Mentorship Program creating the next generation of female leaders
- NFL How many Super Bowls have the San Francisco 49ers won?
- NFL Chiefs fans donate $223K to Buffalo hospital to mark win vs Bills
- NBA Statue of Kobe and Gianna Bryant erected at crash site
- NBA Giannis admits Cavs deserves greater respect after Bucks win