Real Madrid: Vinicius could face two months out with ligament damage
The Bernabéu issued a statement on Wednesday confirming that the Brazilian forward had suffered torn ligaments in his right leg.
Real Madrid have confirmed that Brazilian forward Vinicius Junior suffered ligament damage in his right leg during the Champions League defeat to Ajax on Tuesday night and the 18-year-old could face a spell of two months on the sidelines.
The club communiqué did not specify how long Vinicius’ recovery would take but medical sources consulted by AS suggested that the type of injury the Brazilian has sustained could keep him out of action for up to eight weeks.
Vinicius' Brazil debut put on hold
It will come as a huge blow not only to Madrid, for whom Vincius has been a bright spark in an otherwise forgettable season, but to the player as well. Brazil coach Tite had called up the youngster for friendlies against Panama and the Czech Republic later this month but he will now have to wait for the opportunity to make his senior international debut.
In domestic matters, Vinicius will miss Liga fixtures against Valladolid, Celta, Huesca, Valencia, Eibar, Leganés, Athletic, Getafe, Rayo and Villarreal as Madrid attempt to ensure a top-four finish and another crack at the Champions League next season.
Recommended in English
- BOXING WBC orders Tyson Fury to defend title against Dillian Whyte
- NFL How does Mac Jones' first year compare to Tom Brady's first year?
- NFL Washington's Fitzpatrick needs hip surgery, out rest of season
- NBA The NBA will restrict unvaccinated player travel
- NBA Who are the NBA's all-time leaders in triple-doubles?
- MLB Will Barry Bonds get into the MLB Hall of Fame? Why isn't he in already?