Grealish attacked by fan in Birmingham-Villa clash
A man had to be restrained on the pitch after aiming a blow at Jack Grealish during Birmingham City's derby against Aston Villa.
Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish was punched around the head by a pitch invader in the early stages of their derby clash with Birmingham City at St Andrew's.
A man ran onto the field and aimed a blow at the attacking midfielder, who was jogging in the opposite direction, and seemingly caught him on the neck and jaw.
Play was halted as stewards raced on to restrain the man before they led him to a nearby police officer, while players from both teams offered embraces to the 23-year-old.
Grealish last week returned from a shin injury that had sidelined him since early December and scored in a 4-0 rout of Derby County.
West Midlands Police later tweeted to confirm that a man has been arrested and is en route to a custody block "following the incident on the pitch involving an attack on an Aston Villa player".
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands