Suárez with a point to prove in the Champions League
The Uruguayan striker, who hasn't scored a single goal in Europe this season and is way behind top scorers Lewandowski, Messi and Tadic, will be keen to bounce back against Lyon.
Of the 20 goals Luis Suárez has scored this season, none have come in the Champions League, with the Uruguayan's miserable European form in front of goal not limited to games away from the Camp Nou.
Suárez's last goal at the Camp Nou came in Barcelona's 4-1 win against Roma in last year's quarter-finals. His current drought makes for unusual reading in the competition's top scorer list, which, as things stand, is led by Lewandowski (eight), followed by Tadic, Messi and Marega, with six goals apiece. Cristiano, who only scored once in the group stage, now has four after his demolition-job hat-trick against Atlético.
Despite his troubles in Europe, Suárez has been decisive in big games this season: with Messi injured, he led Barça to victory in the season's first Clásico, scoring a hat-trick in a 5-1 win, and dumped Real Madrid out of the Copa del Rey with a brace - he was a whisker away from another hat-trick, forcing Varane to turn the ball into his own net.
Therefore, Suárez, with the full backing of Valverde, will be keen to get in amongst it and back on the score sheet in Barcelona's potentially tricky return leg against Lyon on Wednesday evening.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL NFL's Jeff Pash and WFT's Bruce Allen implicated in email investigation
- FIFA 22 FIFA 22 Road to the Knockouts: player cards and how to upgrade them
- MEDICARE What if I miss the Medicare deadline?
- NFL Do NFL teams have their own planes? How do they travel to away games?
- NFL Why do NFL players paint under their eyes?
- QATAR 2022 When does the 2022 FIFA World Cup start? Opening game and final dates