Real Madrid: Odegaard says Zidane return is "ideal"
Real Madrid midfielder Martin Odegaard, who is currently on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, says Zinedine Zidane's re-appointment is "very positive" news.
Real Madrid youngster Martin Odegaard, who is currently on a season-long loan at Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, has welcomed Zinedine Zidane's return as Los Blancos' coach, describing the Frenchman's re-appointment as "ideal".
Speaking on international duty with Norway on Tuesday, Odegaard told reporters: "I think it's very positive. He had a successful couple of years in charge before, and he knows the club and the players well. They know him too, and had a good relationship with him. I think it's ideal."
Zidane's Real Madrid re-appointment "positive for me, too"
The 20-year-old also appeared optimistic that Zidane's Bernabéu return will be good news for his future prospects at his parent club. "It's positive for me, too," he said. "I know him well and we have a good relationship. I worked under him for a few years, both in the 'B' team and in his time as first-team coach."
Odegaard has shone in loan spell at Vitesse this season
After enduring a disappointing 18-month loan spell at Vitesse's fellow Eredivisie club Heerenveen, midfielder Odegaard has earned rave reviews for his performances in the Dutch top flight this term.
Norway debutant at just 15
Having caught the eye at an early age at first club Stromsgodset, he made his debut for Norway's senior side as a 15-year-old in 2014, and went on to become the youngest player to appear in a European Championship qualifier.
He then joined Madrid's youth ranks in 2015 and, at 16, was the club's youngest ever LaLiga debutant when he featured as a substitute against Getafe that May.
Norway take on Spain at Mestalla at the weekend
Norway, for whom Odegaard has won 14 caps, take on Spain in Valencia on Saturday in their opening Euro 2020 qualifying match.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?