Frenkie de Jong: "Paris Saint-Germain were a good option"
Frenkie de Jong is all set to join Barcelona at the end of the season but he has revealed that a move to Paris Saint-Germain appealed to him.
Frenkie de Jong says Paris Saint-Germain were a "really good option" before he ultimately agreed to join Barcelona from Ajax. De Jong will link up with LaLiga leaders Barça for the 2019-20 season after agreeing a move worth €86million in total. Manchester City, Tottenham and PSG were among the clubs reportedly interested in the midfielder and De Jong has now revealed that he would have been keen on a move to the Ligue 1 champions.
Rumours on the radio
"One morning, reports emerged that I was joining PSG for €75million," the 21-year-old said. "I woke up a little later that morning as we were training that afternoon and my girlfriend had already gone out. When she came back, she said to me: 'I was in the car and I heard on the radio that you have signed for PSG - is that right?' I knew deep down that was untrue, but part of me wondered if the two clubs had reached an agreement. PSG was a really good option. I would have had a chance to be a starter. It is one of the best teams in the world, with players like Neymar and Kylian Mbappé, as well as a very good coach in Thomas Tuchel. Paris is also not very far from Holland."
Juve clash coming up
De Jong is likely to line up for Ajax when they take on Juventus in next week's Champions League quarter-final first leg.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT When is Adele's '30' album coming out? Where can I listen to it?
- NBA Best paid NBA players in 2021/22 season
- NFL Who plays Sunday Night Football tonight Week 6? | TV and times
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Newcastle's new owners consider move for Erling Haaland
- SOCCER | PREMIER LEAGUE "Salah has to experience Real Madrid"
- LALIGA SANTANDER Barcelona boosted as Agüero and Fati in squad for Valencia game