Osvaldo Alonso scores the first goal in Allianz Field history
The 33-year-old midfielder went down in Minnesota United history as he became the first player to score in the club's new stadium.
Osvaldo Alonso wrote his name into the history books of his team, Minnesota United, and Allianz Field, their new home, as he became the first player to score at the stadium.
"It means a lot," Alonso said afterwards. "I never thought I'd score the first goal at the new stadium. I'm very happy about the goal, but we've got to keep going."
The 'Loons' midfielder found the net 13 minutes into Minnesota United's clash with New York City FC, a match that ended in a 3-3 draw.
Alonso produced a clinical finish, volleying in powerfully from eight yards after Angelo Rodríguez's attempt had been blocked.
"I saw the ball and hit it, and then people start screaming," said Alonso, while team-mate Brent Kallman described it as a "class goal, with perfect technique".
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up